Selecting the right primer for the job is a critical part of improving paint coverage and achieving the highest quality finish the first time around.
Plus, priming not only increases your efficiency, it’s also a great way to satisfy your customers – reducing callbacks and preventing rework.
Here are seven ways using a primer will help you:
- Achieve a smooth, professional finish
- Block stains, marks and odors
- Assure adhesion
- Speed topcoating
- Prevent peeling
- Attain the truest paint color in the fewest coats
- Improve touch-up performance of the topcoat
Once you have determined a need for a primer, Sherwin-Williams offers a complete line of top-notch products designed to address any painting condition or problem you may encounter.
In-store primer display simplifies selection
The streamlined Sherwin-Williams primer display makes selecting the right product easier and more straightforward. It features helpful product information, with a clear explanation of what each primer does and a listing of the surfaces where it can be used.
Actual pieces of wood, drywall, tile and other common substrates are also mounted onto the display, further illustrating primer capabilities. Visit your local Sherwin-Williams store to see for yourself.
As a quick introduction, here are some of the top primers you can find at Sherwin-Williams, and where they work best.
- Premium Wall & Wood Primer: Premium quality primer for the smoothest finish.
- Multi-Purpose Primer: General purpose whole-house primer for multiple surfaces.
- Drywall Primer: Economical primer you can count on to seal new drywall and previously painted walls for a uniform, consistent finish.
- Extreme Bond Primer: For substrates that require a greater degree of adhesion than standard primers can offer.
- Extreme Block Stain Blocking Alkyd Primer: Has the power to seal off stubborn stains like smoke, fire and nicotine and blocks tannin bleed from bare wood.
- White Pigmented Shellac Primer: Highest performing primer for sealing out the toughest stains and odors in one coat.
- Loxon® Concrete & Masonry Primer: For sealing and conditioning porous above-grade masonry surfaces
- Harmony® Wall Primer: Zero VOC primer.
What about paint-and-primer-in-one?
You’ve heard about products touting “paint-and-primer-in-one” capability. We sat down with Rick Watson, Product Information, Sherwin-Williams, and author of the Ask Your ProPartner™ column for PPC magazine, for a reality check – and find out which products to use when.
See the Sherwin-Williams product catalog for a complete selection of available primers.