Tips for choosing the right tape for a specific job, from the experts at 3M:
Adhesion and surface
- The tape’s adhesion level should correlate to the type of surface you’re planning to mask.
- Delicate surfaces like wallpaper and fresh paint require tapes with lower adhesion.
- Rough surfaces like brick or concrete require more aggressive tapes with higher adhesion.
Length of time
- Consider the number of days needed to complete the job.
- Then be sure you understand the clean removal time specified by the tape manufacturer.
- Temperatures between 50°F and 100°F are ideal for application.
- Clean, dry conditions are optimal.
- Cool temperatures, sunlight and UV rays can affect some tapes’ adhesive properties.
- Uncured paint (paint that hasn’t cured for at least 30 days): be sure to use a painter’s tape that’s designed for delicate surfaces. And test the area prior to use.
Photo courtesy 3M. Sherwin-Williams is a single-source supplier for everything you need for all your projects. There are more than 4,300 locations in North America. Find the store nearest you