Quality painting tools on a pegboard rack

How Do I Choose the Right Roller for Large Wood Cabinets?

The question

When painting large wood cabinet surface areas, what kind of roller should be used? Foam or regular? If regular, what nap?

The answer

By Rick Watson

That depends on the type of paint you will use. Let’s say you’re using Emerald® Urethane Trim Enamel. I would recommend using a high quality ¼-inch to ½-inch nap woven roller cover and a quality nylon/polyester brush.

Quality paint and quality tools can be the difference between a high-quality job or a job that looks cheap. Gadgets that look cool or promise to do remarkable things should be avoided.

Quality tools and equipment have evolved over the years, but still do the same job they always have. Remember, as the old adage says: “You get what you pay for.”

Each product data page will tell you what type of brush or roller to use. Plus, each store employee can help you choose the right applicator. We produce a brush and roller guide each year to help our team with choosing and recommending the right applicator.

This article was originally published in the Fall 2017 issue of PPC magazine. Rick Watson, Product Information, Sherwin-Williams, answers contractor questions in the Ask Your ProPartner™ column of PPC magazine. Read more of his answers here.

Got a question not answered here? Stop by your local Sherwin-Williams store or contact your sales rep. Their employees are trained to have the product knowledge and application expertise to solve  your toughest coating problems. Find a store near you

If you don’t need an immediate answer to your question, you can also email your question to us at ppcmagazine@gmail.com. Questions submitted to PPC may be published in a future print and/or digital edition of the magazine.